Monday, March 8, 2010

International Women's Day

Today is international women's day.  It is also my birthday (29 again!!) .  I feel pretty special to have such a feminist day associated with my birthday (and maybe just a little smug about it!).  I have never considered myself a feminist in the traditional sense.  In many ways I considered myself an ultimate feminist I just do it and don't question that it was not possible even only a generation or two ago.  For instance I am a mechanical engineer.  There were 10 women in my class of 60.  We were treated like equals among our peers and never once felt that we had to justify our existence in the program.

As I once again celebrate my 29th bday I know now that what I have is because of standing on the shoulders of the women who went before.  The ones who got us equal rights, made it so we could vote for our government representation (however inept they are).  The ones who challenged the status quo by taking the unconventional path.  We also are blessed by the ones who took the quiet path and raised families teaching their daughters and sons that all people are equal.  As a mother of two sons it is what I hope to build upon even further with my children.  I want them to be empathetic to those less fortunate than themselves and always try to make their little corner of the earth a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment